Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Guru's

So, I work at Guru's. I love it. Being behind that stainless steal counter makes me feel like a VIP. It's like sitting in the front row at General Conference watching all the Apostles breathe. Well, maybe not that cool but close. Greeting customer's with a sunshine smile, filling water cups like a champ, running out orders using my super speed, dodging little children like a Jedi, apparating from place to place like HP fleeing the Death Eaters, swooping in with refills until various cups runneth over with bubbly deliciousness, rolling silverware like I invented it all the while pre-busing tables like it is going out of style.  Oh yes, I'm a Guru's waitress,well, warrior really. What goes through the heads of the Guru's staff as we tackle work like a Spartan against an entire Persian army? Well here is a glimpse into the life of the Guru's staff, more specifically, me.

I must have been born with a love(obsession) with working. If I didn't have to shower I would most likely live under the counter at Guru's. I go to work for fun. My friends all work with me and I like keeping busy. Simple as that. I am sure my co-workers are probably creeped out a bit by it but hey, we go way back. I mean way back, about 2 months to be exact. I eat breakfast at Guru's at least twice a week with some of my awesome co-workers. Yes, Guru's serves breakfast much to my delight. I go into work early to eat a delicious Spinach salad and then clock in. Let the fun begin. Many of us get uneasy when there is nothing to do. When all the ice is refilled, the drinks restocked,cups refilled, the bookshelf wiped down and a million little tasks are all done what is a Guru to do? Fidget. Count our drawer, watch water glasses like Frodo stares at The Ring at night. As soon as a glass looks even slightly empty I am there with my vessel of Holy Water ready to top you off. I love to organize too. If I can, I try to organize around the work space. Things can get pretty crazy but from 4-5pm Guru's is like a barren wasteland. When a customer walks in it's a mad dash to the cash register in a hopes to take their order. When a "regular" walks in it brightens my whole day. I make sure to remember their name because they are awesome and I love people. Sometimes we will have bands play and some nights we have Karaoke. On these nights taking orders can be like trying to solve a expert level Sadoku puzzle. A game of charades really. A really fun game of charades I might add. Clean up is magical. Have you ever seen Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium? Or Night at the Museum? Yeah, it's like that. Cups sing sweet lullabies to us, the coffee machine plays the blues, tables and chairs dance until, eventually, the Guru's staff has to pull out the Tranquilizer guns to calm things down. I've become fluent in Spoon Speak. Forks are a little pokey but the knives are downright dangerous. Napkins like to sleep so we don't worry too much about them. The huckleberry soda is the coolest kid on the block. The trash cans cheer us on in all our endeavors. Eventually we turn the lights off when all the pans have burnt out and the forks and knives are conspiring in their napkins. I drive home and dream of asking customers "chicken, steak or pork," ever excited to begin work the next day.

People wonder why I like my job. Well, it's magical. Like Disneyland or Dumbledore.


No comments:

Post a Comment